Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablets

Default Tablets

Kinda interested in getting one TBH. Which one's the "best"?

I've read good things about the Asus Transformer Prime.

Only advice I have is to stay away from Kogan
    AMD 965 @ 3.8Ghz - CM Hyper 212+ - Gigabyte R9 280X oc - HyperX 8GB 1866 - 990FXA-UD3 - Intel 520 120GB SSD - WD 1TB CaviarBlack - 2TB Storage - Corsair VX-550 - CM HAF X - Corsair K70 MX Red - Logitech G9 - ATH-AD700

Unless you're in a particular hurry, perhaps wait a few months and see what the Windows 8 tablets bring to the table. Also, what they do to the market.

I was just reading about the Nexus 7 which will be released sometime this month, it looks excellent for $200. Extremely zippy, comes with the latest android iteration and is $200 (did I mention that already?)

Only issues with it are the size (7") and the lack of 3G support (it does have wifi though). But again, it's $200...

So it really depends on what you're going to be doing with it to decide if you need an additional 3"
    Elizabeth Collins: "Do you think the sexes should be equal?"
    Victoria Winters: "Heavens, no. Men would become quite unmanageable"

Everyone could use an additional 3"....sorry couldn't help myself. Nexus 7 huh? Interesting, I might look into that.

@Inveigle, Not in a particular hurry so I'll keep that in mind.

My tips:

Make sure it's a dual core or higher;
    Ensure you can add external storage;
    Avoid devices with proprietary inputs/outputs; and
    Stick with a reputable (known) brand.

IMO waiting for Windows 8 tablets could prove to be a great disappointment - well that's what my money's going on. Apple and Android have their niche markets that serve them well. Microsoft's mobile device MO will work against them unless something gives.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    Only issues with it are the size (7") and the lack of 3G support (it does have wifi though). But again, it's $200...
    Yea, I'm keen on one. Don't worry about 3G to much, personally I would have gone the A500 over the A501. Given I always have my phone on me (with 3Gb data per month), it makes more sense to tether the tablet than have a whole other account, SIM and bill for data services.
    Q9550 @ 4.1Ghz | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 | GA-EP45T-UD3P | Patriot Pyro 3 120Gb SSD | PCS+ HD 6970 x 2 in Xfire | Antec HCG 900 | Noctua NH -D14 | CM HAF 932 | W7 Ult x64 |

I've been very happy with my iPad2 32gb wifi model. Syncs well with my google account, and Outlook. iWorks and other apps tend to be solid, display is great, camera so-so but acceptable for my uses, don't use the sound much but it works well enough for skype calls or Ted lectures. Initially annoyed with the lack of standard inputs like usb, but ultimately dropbox and other cloud services meet that need, indeed work better & easier in practice.

Senor Slippyfist, what do you want to use the tablet for?

Kmart has an audiosonic 7 inch for $99 or the 10 incher for $199.

What's wrong with the Kogan tablet's NACH99?
    Mad cows that drink the dredgings of the Murray urinate West End Draught.

See if you can found an HP TouchPad going on ebay. Then put Android on it.

It's a bloody nice bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacewise View Post
    Senor Slippyfist, what do you want to use the tablet for?
    Nothing too technical. I go to NSW every few weeks and miss having access to certain things. Plus there's those times where I'm just feeling lazy and couldn't be bothered getting off the couch to check something on the net. Lol!

I've become a lazier man for the tablet. Mate sounds like the N7 is for you. To be honest I'm thinking about trading the Iconia in, but I'm not sure I want to lose 3 inches.
    Q9550 @ 4.1Ghz | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 | GA-EP45T-UD3P | Patriot Pyro 3 120Gb SSD | PCS+ HD 6970 x 2 in Xfire | Antec HCG 900 | Noctua NH -D14 | CM HAF 932 | W7 Ult x64 |