Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Leucine View Post
    We can recommend chairs all day but in the end it all depends on what feels comfortable to you, i'd personally take some time and visit as many local office supply stores in your area, sit is some chairs and see how you go. Here's a few things to keep in mind:
    -Fabric v leather, fabric is generally better for an office chair because it allows air to circulate more freely reducing sweaty seats
    -You get what you pay for, the more you spend the better quality the chair and the materials its made from
    -I'd generally go for something which is intended for 'task' office work over an 'executive' type chair as the the 'task' chair will have more customisation options to tweak to your particular body.
    Good advice. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jackablade View Post
    I'd recommend not cheaping out on an office chair. Go to a proper office supplier - not Office Works, and take your time finding a really good chair, choose your fabric, base, feet etc.
    Echoed and endorsed. And if the asking price is too high for the pocket then start haunting auction houses/clearance sales and the like for a decent secondhand one.

Kinda silly, but heaps of people skimp on chair, despite the fact that, along with the monitor, it's about the most important part of the workstation setup. (Keyboard/mouse is next most important, and your uber-powerful gaming PC components don't get a gong until those are attended to )

I've a couple of older Co Design office chairs here. Picked them up quite cheaply ages ago when the local Centrelink office relocated. Both cloth seats/backs (Leucine is on the money regarding leather upholstered) and despite their age only evidencing minimal wear. They're good enough chairs that I've have them re-upholstered before I'd chuck them out and replace. I'll keep using them as long as the mechanicals continue to function properly.
    Catweazle is very old...very wise..
    He looks out from his dusty, ancient lair...

Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    ......if the asking price is too high for the pocket then start haunting auction houses/clearance sales and the like for a decent secondhand one.
    It depends on where you're located but in my area no companies recycle used office furniture anymore because the cost of new imports are so low. However if the option is available in your local area i'd recommend this too.

It's pretty constant that a quite high percentage of small business startups fail within the first 3 years (somewhere around 60% in Australia) so liquidation-type sales are always an option if you look around. Local knowledge/contacts are a big help in rural/regional areas, but anyone living in metro areas should be able to find good quality secondhand stuff easy enough.

Edit: I suppose metro folk are pretty stuffed in that regard if they have no car and no friends, but then a person in that situation has bigger problems to sort out than just a shitty chair
    Catweazle is very old...very wise..
    He looks out from his dusty, ancient lair...

I'm also in the market for a new chair as the one I bought a couple of months ago for $90 is crap. Some good advise in this thread about getting a "task" chair with fabric. I am willing to spend a bit but I love the idea of buying secondhand from a closed down bussines etc. I will have to keep a look out. I also I think desk height is important, no matter what I'm never comfortable I think my desk might be to high. Anyway OP let us know how you go
    Can't think of a good sig......yet

For promoting a good posture, I would suggest you buy Lexmod Articulate which comes under the price tag of $200.with a 22-inch high mesh back, you also get a good lumbar support.

One such office chair I would like to recommend is Flash Furniture.

The mesh material is breathable and flexible enough to bend your back at certain angles. The 2.5-inch padded nylon base made of polyurethane can handle weight up to 200 pounds.

The waterfall seat pan is made up of fire retardant foam (check fire retardant spray) giving long lasting comfort for more than 9 hours. The chair gives a 360-degree swivel motion to get complete access to the workspace around you.

The armrest is mesh padded providing an option for your hands to relax when sitting idle. This 12 pounds chair comes with several adjustments including height adjustment that can be extended up to 42.25 inches.