Default Advice regarding PSU choice for SLI & HEDT

Hello

I'm planning to upgrade to an x299 platform with a 7900x@4.5. I'm worried that my current AX850W PSU just won't cut it. I base this on the fact it shut itself off on Furmark and IBT with my current setup.

980ti@1.45/7.8 SLI
    3770k@4.5

If I have the following components:
    3x120mm led fans
    2x140mm led fan
    1x200mm led fan
    D5 pump
    8gb DDR3@1600mhz > Plan to potentially get 64/128gb DDR 4400mhz
    5x7200RPM drives
    2xM.2 NVME 960s

So far, every calculator and post indicates upwards of 1kw easy... I really want some clear clarification and advice regarding PSU. I'm assuming that my current 850w won't cut it, unfortunately... But would something like the RM1000 cut it? Or do I have to get 1.2kw or something higher? If so could you direct me to the kind of PSU I'd need and believe it or not, I am actually on a budget xD

My apologies if this goes against PCPP etiquette, I did read through it and tried to abide by it.

Kind Regards

Jesse St.Germain

I initially thought that an 850w should be fine for that combo, but then I noticed all the cooling and drives.

If the calculators state that you need a 1000w PSU, I'd personally look at something with a little extra leeway. 1000w might well keep everything up and running, but if it's near the limit, you'd be running it at full tilt when under heavy load, which can't be good for longevity. Good PSUs are like good monitors these days - long term investments!

Alternatively, does stripping back some bits help at all? Do you need all those drives, or are you some kind of heavy video editor?
    Bored silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Monkey View Post
    I initially thought that an 850w should be fine for that combo, but then I noticed all the cooling and drives.

If the calculators state that you need a 1000w PSU, I'd personally look at something with a little extra leeway. 1000w might well keep everything up and running, but if it's near the limit, you'd be running it at full tilt when under heavy load, which can't be good for longevity. Good PSUs are like good monitors these days - long term investments!

Alternatively, does stripping back some bits help at all? Do you need all those drives, or are you some kind of heavy video editor?
    Cheers mate for the response.

I'm a software developer and keep local copies of my most recent projects. I'm also moving into video manipulation and simulation hence the i9 xD So air on the side of more? Think the ax1200i or 1300G2 could cut it then? Currently my 850w is perfectly sufficient and only ever crapped itself under extreme load. I've never actually pushed my entire system to 100% but a PSU should be able to handle that.

Sounds good. Keep buying quality brands with crazy long warranties and they'll serve you well.
    Bored silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Monkey View Post
    Sounds good. Keep buying quality brands with crazy long warranties and they'll serve you well.
    Okay I decided on the AX1200i. I thought my AX850 was overkill... So I should be set for awhile. Extra $400AUD I didn't plan on spending, but thankfully I should be set for a long time.

Cheers for your help man xD Only one to respond.